Monday, April 20, 2009

My Urata Folding bike 20th April

Finally got my Urata folding bike last Tuesday. The lady who backed out on the deal last minute last time round finally willing to let go of the bike.I paid $200 for it.

The parts are pretty run of the mill at this price point($320 for a New bike).

The frame is aluminium with a rear elevated chainstay swingarm. Suspension is provided by a 2" thick elastomer. As the bike has been riden by previous owner for about a year, the elastomer has already soften a lot and when I went for my test ride, it was bobbing like mad!

Definitely have to find a replacement for the elastomer. Maybe a hard coil spring or stiffer elastomer. Drivetrain is low end. Rear D is a super low end Shimano make that needs upgrading. 6 speed cogset, brandless V-brakes and levers, Short black brandless headstem(mountain bike compatible), seat post is a crude maxbonded post on post fixture. Steel crankset with plastic chainguard. Lorc 20" Aluminium rims with steel spokes and rusty nipples. Seat, don't even bother just look at the picture.

Looking forward to upgrading the parts as I think this frame got potential.

The ride was very laid back due to the slack angles, its definitely design to be more of a cruiser for slower relaxing rides than what I am going to turn it into. The tires were these pair of ugly China brand rubber, they were quite soft and tracked ok for PCN riding but they won't be staying for long.

I think i am going to enjoy moding this frame, as I write, its already got new handle bars and a Truvativ road crankset, hehe.



2 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm Tal from Israel, Enjoy your new bike. I would like to purchase this model.
    First can you tell me who is the manufacturer and to send me his website.

    Second, where can I find a dealer?

    Thanks, Tal
    zakaital@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. any updates on how you have mod. the bike? Think of getting a foldable one myself :p

    ReplyDelete