Tuesday, April 7, 2009

My 1st Folding Bike trip on MRT

Last Friday 3rd April I took my folding bike for its first ride on the MRT.
I took the train at around 2pm which was well within the off peak period.
No SMRT staff bothered me throughout the whole ride.
I attracted quite a number of stares from passengers though.










As I suspected before making the trip from home to my office in Changi, I actually end up sweating more than if I walked to the station.
But the time it took to travel to the station was really short and enjoyable.
The time saved was quite significant.

The bike: V-Tec 12inch $240, felt "small" and "underpowered". It also felt a bit "short" as in the wheelbase was tight. When I skipped up a curb, I nearly fell off the bike as the rear end was too close to my center of gravity. I end up bending the seat post because of that "move" and now the seat post can't slide all the way down. Looks like I got some bending to do. Weight wise its around 9.5kgs so it was pretty easy to move it around in the station. A 16 or 20 inch foldy would probably be better to travel for longer rides from the station to the designated point.






Overall, it was quite a good experience travelling with a bike on the MRT. I see the potential in travelling on weekends to places that I want to explore. As sometimes I like to roam around old estates, like boon lay or Tiong Bahru to explore the architecture and old original shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment